Before you go further, be sure that you've read the rules. Connecting to the network means that you agree to be bound by the network's policies.
With that said, here's how to connect to Squick in...
HexChat is quite easy to create an encrypted connection in. These instructions assume you're working with a fresh network list that doesn't have Squick in it; if you aren't, just edit your existing Squick network settings along these lines.
- Open the Network List dialog.
- Tick the "show favorites only" box if it's not ticked; it will make this easier. Click the "Add" button, type in "Squick". With Squick selected, click the "Favor" button. Finally, click the "Edit" button with Squick still selected.
- In the top pane, click
newserver/6667, then click the "Edit" button. Type in
irc.squick.me/6697and press enter. Tick the "Use SSL for all servers on this network" box. Click the "Close" button when you're done.
- Select Squick in the network list, then click the "Connect" button to log on.
KVIrc is probably the most complex of the bunch to get used to, but it's pretty easy once you know the process. Like the HexChat guide, this assumes you haven't yet added Squick to your server config. If you have, jump into editing it by skipping the network/server creation parts of the process.
- Open the Server dialog.
- Click the "New Network" (globe) button. Type in "Squick" for its name.
- Click the "New Server" (computer) button. Type in "irc.squick.me" for its name. When you're done, click the "Advanced" button to open the "Server Details" dialog.
- Click the "Connection" tab. Change the port to
6697, then tick the "Use SSL protocol" box. Click the "OK" button.
- With Squick selected, click the big blue "Connect Now" button to log on.
(Ambassador and ChatZilla behave very similarly to one another, so we'll just refer to both as "Ambassador" for this guide.)
Ambassador is usually started by simply clicking one of the IRCS links on our server page, and it has no problems activating TLS for them automatically.
If you want to automatically connect to Squick any time you start Ambassador, follow these steps:
- Open the Preferences dialog from the main menu.
- Click the "Startup" tab. Scroll down to "Locations" and click the "Add" button.
ircs://irc.squick.me:6697/into the prompt. Click the "OK" button in the prompt and then in the Preferences dialog to confirm your changes. That's it!
Quassel has a similar difficulty level to HexChat; pretty easy, but it does require enabling a non-standard option and tweaking the port number.
This process assumes you have started Quassel for the first time already, and you aren't setting up Squick wizard-style.
- Open the Configure Quassel dialog (
Settings>Configure Quasselin the menubar).
- Navigate to
IRC>Networksin the left pane, then click the "Add..." button.
- Create a new network using the dialog that appears. The name should be "Squick", the server address and port should be "irc.squick.me" and "6697", and the server password should be left blank. Make sure to tick the "Use secure connection" checkbox. When you're done, press "OK".
- Squick will now appear under the chat listing and in the menubar under
File>Networks. To connect, right-click Squick in the chat listing and select "Connect".
mIRC isn't officially recommended (other clients may serve your needs better for no cost), but since so many people use it, we've included directions here regardless.
If you're using mIRC 7.36 or lower (check with
Help>About in the menubar), please upgrade to a newer release. Older versions of mIRC are buggy and only support connection security with some ugly workarounds.
To connect to irc.squick.me securely one time:
To create and use a persistent configuration:
- Open the Options dialog.
- In the left pane of the Options dialog, expand "Connect" and click "Servers". Click the "Add" button in the right pane.
- In the "Add Server" dialog that appears, fill in the first four fields with "Squick", "irc.squick.me", "+6697", and "Squick". Leave the fifth field ("Password") blank. Press the "Add" button to commit your changes.
- Click the Squick server you just created. Press the "Select" button.
- Press the "Connect" button to connect to Squick. You may also connect via
File>Connectin the menubar.
If your client isn't listed here, you'll have to put your thinking cap on or do some web research. Keep an eye out for "secure", "SSL", "TLS", and "encrypted" keywords in your connection configuration menus. If your client gives you the choice between SSL and TLS, always disregard SSL and use TLS, preferring the highest available version.
If all else fails, remember that you can get help from our staff over email. We really want you to be safe, so we'll help you get your client set up if you get stuck!